In the summer of 2011, six engineering students came together to start a club to provide engineering resources to communities that needed it the most. “We learned that 90% of the engineering resources in the world benefits 10% of the world” says John Ip, Project90’s second president, “hence our slogan from the beginning was ‘Engineering for the other 90%’." We wanted to use our engineering skills to serve communities in need.
The co-founders also saw this club as an opportunity to connect their education and career goals with their shared Christian faith, so they founded Project90 on Jesus’ teachings to love people and serve the world. “It could be easy to see our engineering education and career as being segregated from our faith, but Project90 challenged us to put the two together.”
And so Project90 was born! Nigel Gutzmann, Project90 co-founder, served as the first president and the club worked on projects for Impact Ministries in Guatemala and HOPEthiopia, whom we still work with to this day. In the spring of 2012, Project90 sent a team of 10 members to Haiti where they designed and planned several phases of a vocational college alongside HELPS International, a relief and development organization working in Haiti.
Since 2011, Project90 has worked with local and international nonprofits empowering communities of all kinds. We’re thrilled to be a diverse student group representing a wide variety of nationalities, faiths, and degree majors. If you are interested in joining this legacy and designing a better world reach out to us! You can make a difference!